A Clean Chimney Leads to a Safe Fireplace

There are very few things that are as enjoyable as sitting next to a warm fire on a cold winter night. Many people will turn off all the lights in their home and allow the light from the fire to illuminate their home. Sitting next to a fire is a relaxing ritual. However, if you do not take the time to have your chimney properly inspected, your relaxing ritual can become a dangerous health risk. It is important for you to have your fireplace cleaned and inspected prior to lighting it up.

Getting a chimney inspection DC protects your home in multiple ways. Fireplaces and wood stoves are the number one cause of fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. The majority of these fires and instances of poisoning could have been avoided if homeowners took the time to invest in a chimney cleaning and a chimney inspection.

During a chimney cleaning and inspection, debris can be removed. When your chimney is not in use, it may start to accumulate things like leaves, sticks, and pieces of floating garbage. During the summer months, small animals like squirrels and bats may make your chimney their home. If you start your fireplace during the winter and your chimney is blocked by debris, you could be setting yourself up for a fire. Or if it is blocked by debris, you could be setting yourself up for carbon monoxide exposure. If smoke cannot escape the chimney, it’s going to come back down into your home.

Some people mistakenly believe that if they light a fire in their fireplace, they will be able to scare away any animals that have made a home in the chimney or that they will be able to burn away anything that is obstructing the chimney. However, as firefighters can attest, this is a dangerous thing to do and can lead to a home fire.

When chimneys are used to burn wood, they create creosote. This is a sticky tar-like substance that coats the walls of the chimney. The substance is unbelievably flammable. If it is allowed to build up inside your chimney, it can ignite and burn at a hot temperature. Even if the fire does not leave the flute, it can still cause structural damage to the chimney and to the areas around the chimney.

All of this underscores the importance of having professionals clean your chimney. Having a CSIA certified professional work on your chimney is the best way to get rid of all of the soot and make sure that your fireplace is safe.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.